Do These Sneakers Make Me Look Like a Grandpa?
OK, I think I’m officially old.
At least in my teenager’s eyes.
This morning I put on my brand new pair of New Balance sneakers.
I was so proud. They were comfy as slippers and white as the driven snow.
I mean, look at those beauties…
My 17 year old daughter noticed them as soon as she came downstairs.
“New sneaks Dad?”
Yeah, whattya think?
Her answer: “Nice. You look like grandpa.”
Needless to say, I was deflated faster than a Tom Brady football.
In fact, it sort of gnawed at me all morning. I even took to Google to see if there was some sort of stigma with this particular style.
Much to my surprise I found more than one website backing up her opinion.
One site went so far as to say that this model of New Balance was strictly for “old white guys”.
Yikes. I had no idea when I bought them.
Certainly I’d never star on that reality show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but I always considered myself at least somewhat style savvy.
However thinking back to my shopping experience, I was indeed elbow to elbow with a few other “old white guys”. Maybe that should have tipped me off.
But wait a minute!
I did hit the big FIVE-OH last year. And yes, I do cake on a heavy application of SPF 30 when I play golf.
Hey, I am an old white guy!
And what’s wrong with that?
After all, I still feel young most of the time.
I’m pretty open-minded.
I stay up to date on technology.
And I learn new stuff all the time.
In fact, they say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but look at all the things I learned this month so far…
- I learned that if you leave your battery in your lawn tractor all Winter it may not start in the Spring.
- I learned that there are people earning six figure incomes selling tee shirts online using hands-free strategies like this.
- I learned that Google did two algorithm updates this month, one coined Mobilegeddon and another that hammered Hubpages and some other huge sites.
- I learned that I can set up a WordPress site in ten seconds, including all my legal pages, plugins, SEO settings, etc., using a cool plugin called WPFreshStart.
- I learned a new way to grip my golf club so I can hit my irons straighter.
- I learned that changing my golf grip gives me new blisters.
- I learned that some people have absolutely no patience even when they’re doing something like playing golf.
Oh yeah, and I learned that my new sneakers make me look like grandpa.
(I learned that one from my teenager too.)